Re: Europa-List: Capacitors

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Capacitors
From: Fred Fillinger <n3eu@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 13:42:53
--> Europa-List message posted by: "Fred Fillinger" <n3eu@comcast.net>

> It's me, the electronically challenged, again.  I received the
> capicator, today.  It's the snap in type, with two pins sticking out
of
> one end.  One pin is silver, the other has a black dot on it.  There
is
> also a grey stripe down the side, oriented to the black spotted pin.
> Can someone tell me which pin is the positive?  Thanks again...
>
> Jeff - A055

It's common on PC-mounted caps to mark only the negative in some way,
so black with a stripe sounds good for that.  See if mfr has a web
site with its data sheet.  Failing that -- got muiltimeter?  Take a
little 9V battery and hook it up that way and see if it rises to at
least 8-something volts in a few seconds.  If reversed, volts may not
rise beyond a few, if at all, but not enough available energy to blow
it up.  Don't try it reversed as a double-check, if first test above
is OK.  May not damage the cap for a just a few seconds, or may....

Do not archive

Reg,
Fred F.