Re: Europa-List: Fw: G CCUL Temps and Fuel

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Fw: G CCUL Temps and Fuel
From: Timothy.P.Ward <ward.t@xtra.co.nz>
Date: Sun, 15 May 2005 05:27:17

Tony,
You should  run the oil temp between 90 -110 at 5000 rpm according to the book.
You may have an indication problem? On my monowheel (classic cowls) in summer
I have no problem in achieving this but in winter I have to put some aluminum
tape over the oil cooler to obtain 90-110 temps. My oil cooler is situated under
the spinner and not piggy backing behind the water radiator, due to having
a Rotax 912S.
50 - 60 oil temp is too low.
I run on 96 oct mogas from Mobil.
Cheers,
Tim

> From: "Tony Bale" <tony.bale@virgin.net>
> Date: 2005/05/14 Sat PM 10:37:26 GMT+12:00
> To: <europa-list@matronics.com>
> Subject: Europa-List: Fw: G CCUL Temps and Fuel
>

> Fellow Europe types greetings,
>                                             We have at long last received our
permit and managed to get some flying in on UL, pretty impressed too !! Couple
of points some of you might be able to shed some light on if you please.

> Firstly having thoroughly warmed the aircraft to 100 deg C both oil and water,
within minutes of take off both are back around 50 - 60 at 5000 RPM, any lower
revs and the guages hardly register, is this as others experience ? We are
begining to consider plans to restrict the air outlets from the radiators. The
ambient at ground level has been circa 11 - 13 deg C during these flights at
between 2 - 3000 feet.

> Secondly, considering fuel. Currently we simply use the cheap unleaded from
> Tesco's,
in my previous life racing cars we always mixed the unleaded with higher
grades and octanes, what do you guys run and have you noticed any improvements
in performance / economy / condition of oil following change / plugs etc ?