Re: Europa-List: EZ-TRIM Altitude Hold

Subject: Re: Europa-List: EZ-TRIM Altitude Hold
From: Gerry Holland <gnholland@onetel.com>
Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 06:17:54

Garry Hi!

> Since I am electronically "challenged", is there any manufacturer out there
> who makes an auto pilot altitude hold, with a bolt-on, right out of the box
> product?

Yes and No. The simplicity of the EZ-TRIM approach is that the little box of
electronics controls or tries to hold the height through TRIM Circuit after
pressing a button to hold the altitude at that moment. TruTrak and others
make a great Altitude hold but it needs a Servo added to Tailplane mechanics
and costs about $1800.

http://www.trutrakflightsystems.com/ttfsproducts.html#Altrak

I believe TRIO Systems are also about to start delivery same sort of thing.
Again about $1800. Try: http://www.trioavionics.com/alt_hold.htm

The EZ-TRIM costs $100 and perspiration!

> I don't want to have to fiddle with reprogramming the software or
> rewiring the circuit boards.  I take it the EZ-Trim isn't for me?

The EZ-TRIM could be for you if you can get hold of Circuit Board. The
soldering of components needs care and the hardest problem for me was simply
eyesight limited by declining years. Magnifying glass a must! As for the
programming. It's an easy task as the Programme is available and just needs
uploading to Circuit board through a serial port from a programme running on
your PC or Mac. Cliff commented that getting it set up correctly needs a
little effort but we are building a Europa...... that has been challenging a
few times!

Both the Trio and Trutrak look very capable products and with hindsight and
a later start on the build I would have chosen one of them as the Servo
could have been added easier.

Regards

Gerry
Europa 384 G-FIZY
Trigear with Rotax 912 and Arplast CS Prop.
Dynon EFIS, KMD 150, Icom A-200 and SL70 Transponder.
PSS AoA Fitted.

http://www.g-fizy.com
Mobile: +44 7808 402404
WebFax: +44 870 7059985