RE: Europa-List: AIRCRAFT CONTROL DURING TAKEOFF

Subject: RE: Europa-List: AIRCRAFT CONTROL DURING TAKEOFF
From: R.C.Harrison <ptag.dev@tiscali.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2005 21:38:49

Hi! Robert
Easily done also is using a foot brake differentially until adequate
rudder authority is available .....then wondering WHY THERE's A HUGE
DRAG EFFECT and YOU ARE PAST NORMAL ROTATION POINT ON THE TAKE OFF RUN
WITH THE ASI SEEMINGLY STUCK ON 40 KTS because you are still on the
brake and not the rudder ! IMHO this is the only reason the finger
brakes are superior to the foot brakes. However so long as you have your
brain engaged and you are able to co-ordinate the use of foot brakes OR
Rudder  sometimes as a heel and toe effort using both then there's no
problem.
I need full rudder almost simultaneously as I hit the throttle on
departure and if the cross wind is with the "weathercock" effect of
engine torque I know I'm going to need some differential brake as well.
However it is almost better to fly off with only a right foot and forget
the left.

Regards
Bob Harrison G-PTAG Europa MKI/Jabiru 3300