Europa-List: Removal of bushes

Subject: Europa-List: Removal of bushes
From: Christine and Peter Timm <cptimm@telus.net>
Date: Sat, 2 Apr 2005 13:27:30

Having just removed the bushes in my Europa Classic I have found it to be
very easy.  I am talking about the four small bushes in the lower part of
the aluminum retraction arms.   My method was as follows:

I used the liner of a wine carton as a heat shield by inflating it slightly
and then placing it against the fibreglas nearby.   I then used a high
setting on my heat gun to heat the bushing very briefly (approx. 20-30
secs); it heats very rapidly.  I previously made an extraction tool out of a
small carriage bolt by inserting it in an electric drill, running it over a
file in a vice until the head had the exact diameter required to pull the
bushing through the hole.  A washer and nut completed the arrangement of
this tool which I then used to pull the heated bushing out very easily and
efficiently.  (Hammering and sawing in this location is impossible.)

The new bushing, after cleaning of the opening, coated with Locktite was
pulled in using the small bolt tool which has now become part of my tool
inventory.

Hope this helps with your problem.

Peter Timm
Europa Classic #110