Europa-List: Rotax 912 Power Problem

Subject: Europa-List: Rotax 912 Power Problem
From: irampil@notes.cc.sunysb.edu
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 17:57:02
 03/31/2005 05:57:05 PM,
        Serialize complete at 03/31/2005 05:57:05 PM

Greetings all,

I too had issues with the sudden, not infrequent loss of power
combined with very rough vibration.  After considerable time
and playing around with multiple tests, many hypotheses, and
and a number of "interesting" test flights, the problem became
clear and the solution while not ideal does work.  I offer this
to the public database of problem/fixes:

Problem Sudden vibration, decreased RPM and power, occuring during
takeoff, climb, high power setting

Clues:  Soot in engine compartment traceable to exhaust from #3
cylinder at the bottom (ball joint to muffler)

Cause: One of the exhaust pipe springs was quite weak and overly
extended.  Independent movement of muffler sometimes left ball
joint ajar on inboard side of joint (away from view). This allowed
a stream of exhaust to blow directly against carb float bowl, boiling
the gas within and unbalancing the carbs(!!). Also melted CHT lead wire
from
Cylinder 3.

Fix: New spring from Europa in place (not sufficient by itself to cure
problem)
 2) Muffler putty around joint (from NAPA Auto parts)
 3) Blast shield made as 6061T6 0.063 Al plate horizontally surrounding
down
pipe, held down on spring supports by stainless hose clamp.

Leaks still seem to occur at times since there is a small amount of soot
on the bottom
of shield plate, but no engine symptoms have been observed.

Now, if only I could get my fuel Flow sensor data into my efis!

Ira, N224XS  (nearing 100 hr flight time with service time per week
finally less than flying time!!)