Europa-List: Rudder cable routing

Subject: Europa-List: Rudder cable routing
From: grroberts3@juno.com
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 22:46:39

I'm laying in the rudder cables on an XS with a Singleton tail wheel mod.
 The fuel lines are rigid aluminum and are already installed.  The manual
instructions for Tufnol cable guides bolted to the thigh supports has me
stumped.

I've modified the forward rubbing blocks by reducing the thickness (about
1/4 inch) and have plenty of clearance from the framework.  The cables
just clear the wheel well side all the way back to the removable bulkhead
and beyond to the pulleys.  My thigh supports are recessed well beyond
the 30mm dimensions given for fabrication the Tufnol cable guides.
Additionally, any further deflection outboard at the thigh supports will
bring the cables into contact with the wheel well walls.

---From the pulleys aft, the cables rise to the bellcrank  and foul the fuel
lines.  There is room under the fuel lines if I hold the cables down and
prevent them rising until aft of the cockpit module.

I intend to put in turnbuckles aft of the cockpit module that should be
accessible below the cargo shelf.

I had intended to use Nylaflow tubing on the cabling and have even found
the site gauge tubing (that I won't be using) to be perfect as an outer
cover on the Nylaflow tubing allowing easy replacement of the Nylaflow in
the future.  Nylaflow sure seemed like a good idea when discussed on the
list some time ago.  I find that I am now in need of the details.

1.  Are the cable guide as described in the manual really necessary if
the cables are already fully outboard?
2.  Is Nylaflow tube an appropriate substitute to secure the cable near
the thigh supports?
3.  Where, precisely, should the cables have Nylaflow?  Can it be used to
change cable direction, as in keeping the         cable on the floor
until aft of the fuel lines?
4.  How is the Nylaflow secured?  Simple glass tape layups at critical
points?

I would appreciate any suggestions and experiences.

Thanks

GRoberts
A187
Tucson, AZ