Europa-List: RE: Ideas for a Powder Coating Oven

Subject: Europa-List: RE: Ideas for a Powder Coating Oven
From: SteveD <Post2Forum@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 14:43:27

Hi Brian,
I've done some powder coating,
http://www.europaowners.org/PowderCoat
And I did make a stove top unit. As you can see in the pictures. The pipe had
internal
baffles to prevent hot spots. I also had three oven probes in the top
to insure even heating. After I was all done someone emailed me about changing
the metal structure, and suggested it now had the characteristics of a licorice
twizzler. The Temp I used was 350F for 17 minutes. Worried, I went over to
the engineering dept. at work and asked the metallurgist to run the numbers for
me during his lunch. The bad news was that 350 was the magic number to change
the internal structure, the good news was the 17 minutes was no where near the
required soak time. Steal parts I'd say go for it, large aluminum tubes, why
risk it, where your temp control is not precise. Small aluminum parts, short
cure times at low in the band temp. They should be fine. With proper prep the
coatings you will be putting on are a hundred times better then the powder
coating
in the kit. Where as I can remove the powder co
 at from my engine mount with the slightest tap. The coating I put on the tail
spring fell from and overhead shelf onto a concrete floor and doesn't have a
mark
on it's two tone Sky blue to white fade.

Some tips:
Clean the part to white metal finish. I've sanded and fine sand blasted parts.
Wipe the parts with acetone then don't touch them with bare hands.
Preheat the parts in the oven then coat them hot and return to the oven.

I do love the way the parts look when completed.
Your best powders and coatings are available here:
http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?itemID=92&itemType=CONTENT

Chat later,
Steved
Visit EuropaOwnersForum http://www.europaowners.org/