Re: Europa-List: Expanding Foam

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Expanding Foam
From: Nigel Graham <nigelgraham@btclick.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2005 09:14:22

Steve,

Contrary to all the other posts on this matter, I have achieved really good
results with urethane foam and have used this a lot to join blue-foam blocks
when creating plugs.
It cuts and sands like blue foam and you can laminate epoxy on to it in the
usual way.
Rather than two-part I would recommend the cans of urethane foam supplied by
builders merchants for gap filling - a far more practical and economical
solution. (I have tried both)

For your seat base, the trick is to attach the ply base first, then fill the
cavity underneath with the foam. The base needs two small holes, one to
accept the applicator nozzle and the other to allow excess foam and air to
escape. Resist the temptation to clean up any overspill. Once cured, all the
mess can be removed neatly and cleanly and easily with a hacksaw blade,
knife or abrasive paper.

One last tip. Urethane is initiated by water so use something like a
plastice bottle with trigger squirter (glass cleaner comes in these) to
spray a light mist of water onto all the bond surfaces. The resulting foam
will have a far finer cell structure. Without water, the foam may not cure
completely and you may end up with a coarse uneven cell structure or worse,
a semi-cured brown treacle like gunge.

When exposed to light, urethane will degrade in UV but your seat application
should be fine.

Hope this is of interest.

Nigel