RE: Europa-List: Brake Parts

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Brake Parts
From: Rob Housman <robh@hyperionef.us>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 16:44:13

The manufacturer's web is:
http://www.kartcomponents.sagenet.co.uk/default.htm

My Tri-Gear kit included the Kart Components master cylinders, and the
picture of several cylinders at the manufacturer's web site (the "Brakes &
Disks" page) shows one that matches the master cylinder in my kit.

It is the seals in the master cylinders that had to be changed to match the
seals in the slave cylinders for fluid compatibility.  According to the
build manual this is because the Tri-Gear uses "mineral based hydraulic
fluid" (also described in the manual as "aviation type hydraulic fluid") for
which the slave cylinders already have the appropriate seals.  The kit is
supplied with replacement seals that must be installed in each master
cylinder.

I avoided the problem of deciding which fluid would be compatible by
choosing silicone brake fluid, DOT 5, which is compatible with everything
and has a few other advantages (though cost is not one of them).

Best regards,

Rob Housman

Europa XS Tri-Gear A070
Airframe complete