Re: Europa-List: checkout in a monowheel

Subject: Re: Europa-List: checkout in a monowheel
From: Carl Pattinson <carl@flyers.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 14:17:48

Can I just add one thing to Grahams excellent advice.

If at all possible practice your first few landings, takeoffs on a grass
runway. The aircraft is much easier to handle on grass. Also make sure the
mainwheel is inflated to the correct pressure (20psi from memory). If you
overinflate it chances are you will bounce on landing. Also, get the
approach speed spot on or you will float down the runway for a long time.

As Graham says, keep the aircraft straight BUT use small movements of your
feet. If you bang in a bootful of rudder chances are the aircraft will
groundloop and you will lose the prop (nearly every mono pilot has - at some
time or other).

Have fun.