RE: Europa-List: Sourcing a 24V battery

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Sourcing a 24V battery
From: Tony Krzyzewski <tonyk@kaon.co.nz>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2005 14:45:46
Received-SPF: none

>> I am planning to install a 24V electrical system as advised by Greg
Richter of Blue Mountain avionics. The reason is that I am going
'all-electric' with an EFIS etc and feel his arguements in terms of
safety margin in the event of alternator failure etc are compelling.

I think you'll find it difficult to find a "small" 24v battery. I
presume that Greg was talking about the current draw for 24v systems
being 1/2 of the current draw for 12v systems and therefore the panel
will run longer as it's drawing less current.

If this is perceived to be a problem why not just put in two 12v
batteries which are probably going to weigh the same as a 24v battery
and you can also do smart things like having a failover configuration
(talk to Paul McAllister about how useful that can be!). That way you
aren't going to have any hassles with the starter or generator.

Tony