Re: Europa-List: P{reparing the fuselage surface

Subject: Re: Europa-List: P{reparing the fuselage surface
From: Fred Fillinger <n3eu@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 11:46:18

> Cheers, from snowy Ontario,
>             I am at the stage of preparing to apply a paint filler
before
> finishing the surface for under- and top-coat. When I wash the belly
with
> the specified soap mix, the water beads (we're talking centre flat
belly
> area) and there's a greasy shine to the surface. Since the filer is
> water-based, it's a no-no. I am figuring it's release coat from the
> factory - and I'm going to have to scrub with acetone (usual
precautions) or
> TSP.

It's a no-no with even solvent-based paint, unless the solvent will
etch into the epoxy, which it won't.  My fuse had no release coat, and
the coats I'm familiar with you'll know is there.  So just used a
household cleaner and water rinse, then abraded (dry) with an electric
palm sander and fine grit.  With the drum effect, the whole
neighborhood will wonder what the heck you're doing.  I needed hearing
protection...!

Reg,
Fred F.