Re: Europa-List: Preparing the fuselage surface

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Preparing the fuselage surface
From: Gerry Holland <gnholland@onetel.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 16:16:13

Ferg Hi!

Whether this is right or not I dont know but this is the way I prepared for
a combination of Super Fill and Super Prime from Polyfiber. Interesting when
the Company who painted the Aircraft received it they sanded off just about
all of it and used their own primer.

Prior to my attempts at filling and priming I cut back the gel coat until it
was a drab non shine surface with glass paper and then washed thoroughly
with Polyfiber 310 Alkaline Cleaner.

It may be worth talking to your Paint shop. Mine, Airborne Composites
carries out many Fiber and Carbon repairs and paints many Gliders and
Composite Aircraft. They would have been happier if I had done nothing with
the Fuselage or wings and left them to fill, profile and paint from scratch.
Not a rip off but based on the facts that they always felt ill at ease
preparing and painting a Homebuilt on the basis that the filling and priming
was completed by the owner. That part of the process is the most important
if the paint job is to last.
I worked with them on my Wings and Fuselage and tend to see their point of
view. Using a pressurised, flow through paint Bay also was a lot more
comfortable when sanding back. I felt like crap when doing it in my workshop
even with a mask.

They very rarely paint for Homebuilts now as getting a happy Customer
through quality at a reasonable price is hard to achieve.

I'm pleased with my results on both quality and price.

Sorry to ramble.

Regards

Gerry
Europa 384 G-FIZY
Trigear with Rotax 912 and Arplast CS Prop.
Dynon EFIS, KMD 150, Icom A-200 and SL70 Transponder.
PSS AoA Fitted.

http://www.g-fizy.com
Mobile: +44 7808 402404
WebFax: +44 870 7059985