Europa-List: lock nuts

Subject: Europa-List: lock nuts
From: Graham Higgins <ghiggins@norex.com.au>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 11:43:47

---From a different feeble non-engineering mind in OZ, but affected by the same
weather and living life upside down, it eludes me as to how placing the half
nut on the bolt first, at the required torque, REDUCES the load on the half
nut. It seems to me that the same load borne by half the  thread surface
area means twice the load on those threads.
 Of the two methods discussed, it seems to me that neither method is
completely satisfactory. The difficulty in both methods is allowing for the
change in torque on the article being held by the first nut, by the addition
of the second nut. If the first nut is correctly torqued, then addition of a
second nut , regardless of whether full or half size,will increase that
torque, if the first is kept stationary. If the second nut is tightened to
some suitable torque, then the first is backed off to the same torque, that
should produce the required torque on the article, but I admit in practice
this is more art than science.
Please educate me.               Graham Higgins in OZ,
                                      (non flying, but feeling well enough
to start planning repairs to my pranged Mono.)