Europa-List: Shoulder harness

Subject: Europa-List: Shoulder harness
From: John & Paddy Wigney <johnwigney@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2004 10:29:58

Hi Hans,

Some time ago I attended a seminar at Oshkosh which, amongst other things,
stressed
the importance of correct orientation of the shoulder restraints. There is
an FAA document somewhere which spells out the details. The standard Europa
method does not comply with the recommendation which is to have the line of
restraint
above the horizontal. The reason of course is to minimise or eliminate
compression of the spine.

I took 2 pieces of 0.125 in. aluminium plate (about 3 in. x 5 in.) and formed
them
to the shape of the rear upper fuselage behind each seat and in front of the
bulkhead. I bonded a MS24694/AN509 1/4-28 countersunk machine screw into a
hole in each plate with Redux so that the screws were flush on the outer convex
surface. I then cut away the inner layer of glass and filler in the fuselage
and bonded the plates into position with Redux and a BID glass cover. A short
length of control cable (5/32" dia . as I remember) with cable thimbles and
Nicopress
fittings was fitted to adjust for the extra length needed. It works fine.

Cheers, John
N262WF, mono XS, 912S
Mooresville, North Carolina

********
I have for a long time questioned this particular way of mounting the
shoulderharness - even more as it does not comply to recommended procedures
set forth in the JAR technical documents (or, for all I know, in  FAA
recommendations). I seem to remember that the harness should not be routed
below a line going straight back from the shoulders (the angle not to be
less than 90 degrees to a line along your spine) , but may be orientated
upwards by a certain degree. I don't have access to this document now and
cannot confirm the figures.
Nearing the end to my build - I have still to mount mine, and am considering
hardpoints in the baggage comp. ceiling  where to fasten the harnesses. Are
there others out there who have done it this way ? - Any viewpoints please ?
Again: I hope you will soon be better, Graham!  Regards,
Hans Danielsen, #334 in Norway
********