RE: Europa-List: Vertical Card Compass

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Vertical Card Compass
From: David DeFord <davedeford@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2004 21:11:13

> I have a place in my panel where I was planning to put a
> vertical card
> compass to the right top of the flight instruments but not in
> the radio
> stack area. I heard today from a reliable source that should
> know that
> they will not work in the panel because of the electronic
> equipment. I
> will not be using a gyro DG so I thought this would allow me
> to see the
> full 360 that I've been use to. Has anyone been able to use a VC
> compass in the Europa panel anywhere, or will I have to mount
> it above
> somewhere for it to be accurate enough.

We mounted a vertical card compass in the panel area above the gear retract
lever, and it has worked just fine.  Our maximum deviation on the compass
card is only a few degrees.  We did make an effort to keep magnetic hardware
and wiring away from the compass.  It is easy to see the effect of a
magnetic object (e.g., a steel screw) by moving it around the compass at the
expected distance.  The disturbance varies greatly with angular position at
a constant distance from the compass.

Dave DeFord
N135TD (flying, 400 hrs.)