Re: Europa-List: Landing Light Outcomes

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Landing Light Outcomes
From: Fred R. Klein <fklein@orcasonline.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 09:34:15

Ira,

Along with the polycarbonate wingtip lighting covers I've molded, I intend
to utilise the combination LED position lights, strobe, and landing lights
available thru CreativAir (http://www.creativair.com/). A good picture of
this set up with access panels on the Europa is available at Jeff Behrness
website for A055, at www.N55XS.com/ (go to photos and narrative of May 10,
2004).

light, Bill VonDane of CreativAir said that they have no test data in this
regard. From other sources, I'm told that the 75w Halogen bulb throws 75% of
its heat out the back of the bulb which, in the CreativAir installation,
allows that heat to move into the cavity of the wingtip (which in turn is
open to the cavity of the wing itself aft of the main spar). I have no idea
with regard to whether heat buildup, either under normal operating
conditions, or in the event the lights were left on inadventantly for an
extended period, would become a fire safety or structural issue, though I am
considering running extra wiring so that a thermostat could be installed to
monitor internal wing temperatures.

CreativAir has over 200 hours experience w/ their position/landing/strobe
combo in the FG wingtip of an RV-8; in this installation, the outermost wing
rib is solid, so any air heated by the landing light is confined to the
volume of the FG wingtip to no discernible ill effect.