Europa-List: Evans Cooling Fluid..

Subject: Europa-List: Evans Cooling Fluid..
From: MICHAEL PARKIN <mikenjulie.parkin@btopenworld.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2004 22:16:40

COMPULSORY COOLANT CHANGE ????

Unless I am missing something, the change to EVANS fluid is only required if you
have cooling issues with your engine installation.  (See extracts below)

page 10-7 of Operating Manual Rev 3, dated Jul 01/2004.

  NOTE: Depending on the installation circumstances (max.cylinder head
temperature
reached).  Convnetional coolant can also be ussed.  For this purpose, see
the flight manual of the aircraft manufacturer.

page 32A of Rotax 914 installation manual.  dated Jul 01/2004

  The coolant to be used is defined clearly in the Operators Manual.  Depending
on the installation conditions, conventional coolants can also be used.  The
provision of proof about max. reachable cylinder head temperature and the the
coolant to be used is the responsibility of the airplane manufacturer in regard
to 12.2.1 and 12.2.2.  (The operating limits.)

As over-cooling is a bigger problem than overheating in my aircraft, buying this
expensive fluid seems a waste of money.   Furthermore, what about all the
aircraft
that have been flying for years,  that suddenly can't fly without this
expensive stuff.  Is there a rotax percentage in here somewhere.

Are people knee-jerking here or,  am I completely out to lunch!! (Believable)

regards,

Mike  (G-JULZ)