SV: Europa-List: Fitting Cowl

Subject: SV: Europa-List: Fitting Cowl
From: Sidsel & Svein Johnsen <sidsel.svein@oslo.online.no>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 19:45:53

Jeff,

On Nov 20, you posted Nevilles excellent, as always, recommendation on how
to fit the cowls.  One statement puzzles me, however:

>>>Now adjust for perfect spinner clearance and match. Remember 3/4 to 1
inch of clearance
between the cowl & spinner.<<<

Is this large clearance really necessary, and how does it correspond with
the 25 mm (1 inch) clearance between the front face of the prop flange (on
the gearbox shaft) and the front of the cowl, as per Andy's correction to
the firewall forward manual?  If I assume Andy used as reference the common
Airmaster prop, its spinner extends 20 mm behind the front face of the
flange, which would give 5 mm clearance between the spinner and the cowl
front.  Would this be too close?

If I use 1 inch back from the spinner, the cowl interferes with the
mechanical fuel pump on my 912S.

I am right at this critical stage now, so any good advice on what you or
others with 912S on XS have done as far as this clearance, will be very much
appreciated.

Regards,
Svein
A225 - now in Norway