Re: Europa-List: Brake trouble

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Brake trouble
From: Richard Holder <rholder@avnet.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 21:19:40

> Richard
> Can you explain the difference between Dot 5 and Dot 5.1 brake fluid? Also
> can you confirm that it is synthetic fluid that I require for my Trigear (if
> you have not explained it in the reply above).
> Steve Pitt #403

I thought I put it in my email/ But I will try again.

Firstly the numbering system is CR*P !

Normal automotive brake fluid is DOT 3, 4 or 5.1.

Normal Aviation brake fluid is a Mil-spec number MIL-H-5606G which is
similar to ATF and is coloured red.

The seals in brakes are normally made for the use of one or other of these
fluids, not both; and if you use the wrong one the seals will expand - yuk.

This DOT 5 brake fluid is a silicone brake fluid which does not affect
either type of seal.

SO :

The Mono calliper uses Automotive Brake Fluid and so does the single master
cylinder that goes with it.

When you use two of these master cylinders on the tri-gear Europa provide
new seals for the master cylinders to suit MIL-H-5606G because the Tri-gear
callipers use seals for MIL-H-5606G.

Now the standard seals in the Jamar dual master cylinder are designed to use
Automotive Brake fluid and thus with the standard tri-gear seals there is a
problem.

Europa have solved this by specifying DOT 5 brake fluid which is compatible
with both types of seal. But it is expensive - 32 for a litre !

Bleeding can be tricky and I hate to think of bleeding at 32 per litre :-(

Thus the decision to go automotive fluid which needed automotive seals for
the tri-gear callipers (and the Matco brake valve if you are using it).

Ivor Phillips has come up with the seals (including seals for the Jamar dual
master cylinder as I b*gg*red them by putting ATF in there !)

There is much talk of "synthetic" and "petroleum based" brake fluids. I
think they are confusing and ambiguous so my terms are more sensible
(allegedly !)

I hope that helps - I have laid it out all logically. Call me if you need
any more theoretical stuff. Call Ivor if you want the practical stuff !

Did I get it right Ivor ? I hope so - you were my teacher !

Richard
Richard F.W. Holder                      01279 842804 (POTS)
Bell House, Bell Lane,                   01279 842942 (fax)
Widford, Ware, Herts,                    07860 367423 (mobile)
SG12 8SH                        email : richard.holder@avnet.co.uk
++++++++ Please note new email address ++++++++
Europa Classic Tri-gear : G-OWWW, High Cross
PA-28-181 : Piper Archer : G-JANA, EGSG (Stapleford)