RE: Europa-List: Brake trouble

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Brake trouble
From: Alan Burrows <alan@kestrelinsurance.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2004 16:50:16

Hello Sven

I am going through the same exercise myself right now..!
I just purchased a brake bleed kit that I thought was expensive, but
worth it if it works (trying it on Sunday). It works by sucking all the
air out of the brake calliper bleed nipple and pulling fluid down the
system. I will let you know the results.
What I did notice when I stripped down the brakes was that the calliper
on the port side was not "floating" freely when compared to the
starboard side. I have now decided that this must be a 50 hr inspection
item as the pins on which it floats had got rusty and therefore stopped
it working properly. This in turn aided the brake to lock on and stay on
when I applied the levers. So I would strongly suggest everyone checks
this item at least as regularly as I will in future, also it's a good
opportunity to turn the tyres around and get better wear from them. I
have the speed kit fitted so I thought that would have afforded some
protection to the callipers, but apparently not enough.

Alan
Ps your right it was a pain of a job to strip down the master cylinder,
but I thought it a worthwhile job to do as I found the nylon bearings
inside were not a good fit so changed them.