Re: Europa-List: RE: What's your position on Night and IMC privileges

Subject: Re: Europa-List: RE: What's your position on Night and IMC privileges
From: Jim Brown <acrojim@cfl.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 07:08:31
 forPermit

Tim Weert wrote:

> Hi Europa operators,
>
> Being able to operate your aircraft under IMC is the best life insurance you
can have. If you entrance unforeseen IMC during your VFR flight it will safe
your
day. Being able to fly safe under IMC needs only more skills and recurrent
training than many VFR pilots expect. Commercial pilots train at least 4
simulator
sessions a year to keep their licence valid. So once again, I agree that
training and practising IFR flying is a must. MS Flight simulator is a nice tool
to improve your instrument scan, but practising in your own aircraft is the
best way to get enough exposure to fly IFR, assuming your plane is IFR equipped.

> But this story has also a other side. In the first place, if I have an engine
failure or cabin fire, I always want to be able to make a safe forced landing.
That means that I require at least VFR minima below the cloud layer I am flying
into or above. To be able to see what I am doing during my emergency landing,
daylight is a must. Remember Murphys Law, if it happens, it will happen at
the worst moment.
> If I want to fly at night or in real IMC (to ground level), I only feel myself
safe in an IFR equipped twin aircraft. Than an engine may fail because Im still
able to make a single engine IFR approach.
> I would like to encourage you all to improve your skills and at the same time
to keep a safe weather limitation + margin in mind.