Europa-List: TP12 drive plates

Subject: Europa-List: TP12 drive plates
From: Graham Singleton <graham@gflight.f9.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 20:57:55

><ami@mcfadyean.freeserve.co.uk>
>
>More detail please Graham!
>This would all have been done through an access hole? How big and what is
>the optimum location to be able to achieve the feat?
>
>I've done mine by crawling back down the inside of the fus. But if I had (or
>have!) to do it again I would put a second and larger access hole into the
>rear fus.

Hi Duncan
We used the standard three holes, the small visibility hole in the base of
the fin, (which I would recommend to  make slightly larger,)
the forward hole alongside the joggle in the fuselage seem, which HAS to be
big enough to get your arm right in past the elbow.
Finally the tailwheel spring hole under the tailplane is also used. Mostly
during re assembly by the helper. (Pete Churms in my case)
A third hand Mole grip or similar toggle grip is essential, the designer
didn't realize we would need to get two hands inside.
1       take out the top bolt that holds the balance arm in place.
2       swing the arm and the TP12 plates back to slacken the side support
cables. then take out the lower bolt and lay the balance arm         aside.
Remove the bolt attaching the pitch push rod.
3       now cut off the bent over ends of the nearest accessible split pin
and remove the 1/4" drive pin. We used a Dremel with a cut
off       wheel.The two outer pins should be removed first, this will allow
the assembly to be moved to one side which makes removing the         two
middle drive pins easier.

Next stage is drill and ream the cross tube assembly, each one was set up
in the machine by lining up the existing holes in the drilling machine with
a 1/4" rod. Then changing to a metric drill (about .370D) finally reaming
to size very slowly.
It's vital to keep the assembly in its original assembled position, so we
kept each pin in place before and after reaming to keep everything aligned.

Assembly was more or less the reverse of the above but took quite a loit
longer. It worked well though

Graham