Europa-List: Cockpit Module went in On Sunday

Subject: Europa-List: Cockpit Module went in On Sunday
From: EuropaXSA276@aol.com
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 10:05:45

I Know....  I said I would install the Module over 60 days ago. A few things
got in the way.  Like Water Drain Mod, deciding what I would do about fuel
lines, Sunday football.

At any account it is in and I would like to post an overview of the details.

I used combined suggestions from this group for this procedure.

First I portioned out 1 KG of Araldite resin. Used about 800G of this.
Approximately 75G < And this is just a guess>  was scraped away as it oozed out
of
the joints. I spread the Araldite / Flox mixture about 1/4 inch on the C/M.
Thicker in problem areas.  I then spread extra Mix in the problem areas of the

fuselage were large gaps had been noted before during the final fitting and
sanding stage.

To seat the module I used 3, 2" wide ratchet type cargo straps. One placed at
mid Tunnel. Then over the head restraints. Lastly over the cargo area. Bricks
were piled up to the high of the fuselage walls and 2X4 boards placed on them
cut to the width of the fuselage.  The 2X4 boards were used to place the
straps exactly against the walls to prevent indentations on the sides as the
epoxy

cured.

2 bags of concrete mix were place in the seat pans.

 I then check for voids by shining a bright light through the structure.

 I used 35 self tapping screws to close voids. Lightly screwed them in to
close gaps but not form a dimple on the outer fuselage. Screws are mostly in the

floor areas. Especially in the foot area in front on the seat. This area
seemed to have the poorest fit and the thickest fill of Araldite and flox.

< All photos on the build site below. See Chapter 17 Album>

All this done I still have a few small voids. I would say the sizes range
about as big around as my little finger. Perhaps no more than 5 or 6 of these in

total.

Areas around the knee hump of the seat are a very tight fit and have a very
THIN layer of epoxy. This looks like a void area when shining a light through
the wall. I am concerned about this area not having enough epoxy.

My guess is that the amount of voids I have is about average?  Comments?

I did buy a few large hypo needles from the local Vet supply that can be used
to fill some voids.  I'm wondering if these few are worth the trouble and if
they would have much impact on structural integrity.

All Comments on this subject are most welcomed.

In addition I would like to thank the 15 or more of you that responded to my
questions on this subject Two months ago!  Your ideas and opinion were most
valuable.  Thanks to all.

Brian S
A276 Tri Gear. Texas
See my build photos at:
http://forum.okhuijsen.org/BrianS

_-=====================================================================
_-_-=       -- Please Support Your Lists This Month --
_-=           (And Get Some AWESOME FREE Gifts!)
_-_-=   November is the Annual List Fund Raiser.  Click on the
_-=   Contribution link below to find out more about this
_-=   year's Terrific Free Incentive Gifts provided by the
_-=   The Builder's Bookstore www.buildersbooks.com!
_-_-=   List Contribution Web Site
_-_-=           http://www.matronics.com/contribution
_-_-=   Thank you for your generous support!
_-=                              -Matt Dralle, List Admin.