RE: Europa-List: Painting various metal rods

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Painting various metal rods
From: Rob Housman <RobH@hyperionef.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2004 16:15:25

Ever since Erin Brockovich (the person and the movie) hexavalent chrome has
had an extremely bad reputation so you may find it impossible to purchase
the zinc chromate.  It works, if you can get it.  Alodine is relatively safe
to handle, easy to use, and will provide adequate protection for all of the
aluminum parts.  Use Metalprep from the same manufacturer (Henkel Surface
Technologies http://www.henkel.com/int_henkel/technologies/index.cfm for
pre-treatment.

My Tri-Gear main gear legs and nose gear assembly are powder coated but not
any of the aluminum stuff.  While the aluminum parts could be powder coated
keep in mind that the coating is relatively brittle and therefore should not
be used where fasteners attach things, and if you mask the attachment points
it somewhat negates the advantage of powder coating for corrosion
resistance.  It is important to keep in mind that coatings protect against
corrosion ONLY as long as the coating remains intact and wherever there is a
discontinuity in the coating corrosion will proceed at an accelerated rate.

When I made a similar comment on this forum about the stabilator torque tube
material I was corrected by the factory (Neville, I think) - the tube is
nickel plated.

Best regards,

Rob Housman
Europa XS Tri-Gear A070