Re: Europa-List: Engine Fuel Return Using Mod Fittings

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Engine Fuel Return Using Mod Fittings
From: Cliff Shaw <flyinggpa@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2004 20:00:33

Brian

I used the three 1/8" fitting per side method. I made the "main" on the fill
hole side and the reserve on the pilot side.  I thought it made better since
that way, do it as you see fit.  I don't think there is much value either
way.

The sight tube is coming off the main side. The return is going in on the
reserve side. Each side uses the bottom hole for the sump drain. The last
hole on each side goes to the selector valve. Then to a gas collator/sump
with it's drain and then to the electric fuel pump.

The only thing I saw that was not normal in the way it worked was when I was
using the electric pump to pump the tank dry for weighing. The sight gauge
would drop an inch when the pump was sucking from that side. If I switched
to the other side the sight gauge would be steady.  I reasoned that there
was a low pressure from the pump and that my sight gauge is only used as a
ground check anyway, so it was OK.

Your tank vent is coming off the top of the tank by the fill hole. I think
the 1/4" pipe could be bigger as I get a inch too high indication as the
fuel fills above the fill hole opening and all the air must exit the vent
tube.  (I am dumping from a Gas can and watching the sight gauge)  If I let
it settle and fill very slow it is normal.  This is OK to, I guess.

Hope this helps. I got kind of long winded there.

Cliff Shaw
1041 Euclid ave.
Edmonds, WA 98020
425 776 5555

PS  weather has not been cooperating. so not flying lately.