Europa-List: Carb Balancing

Subject: Europa-List: Carb Balancing
From: Dave Anderson <dja767@charter.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 21:18:03

A quick question on balancing.

I have balanced the carbs numerous times with a twin engine MP gauge. When the
balance tube is disconnected, the engine obviously runs rougher. At one point
in the balancing process,  I started the engine and it ran very smoothly, but
the MP gauge still showed a split. Matching the readings on the gauge made it
run rougher - but that improved with the balance tube connected. The engine
shakes
passing through about 2600 RPM - smooth above and below. It seems like balance
- the mags have no effect on the smoothness.

My guess is that either I have a miss match in mixture as well, or the technique
I am using is not right.

Here is the question:  Should the engine run the smoothest when doing the
balance
with the balance tube disconnected and the carbs are well matched? What have
others found.

BTW - I flew the Mini U2 today up to 20,000 feet. With the 914 engine, the climb
rate solo was still 900 FPM at 20,000 feet. You gotta like that!

Dave
A227 Mini U2
261TT