SV: Europa-List: Fuel pressure sender

Subject: SV: Europa-List: Fuel pressure sender
From: Sidsel & Svein Johnsen <sidsel.svein@oslo.online.no>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 07:17:18

Many thanks to Carl, Sam and Paul for quick replies.  I will go looking for
a suitable transition piece from branched off fuel hose to the threaded
pressure sender, and somehow mount this on the firewall below the point
where I branch off from the fuel hose, so there is no chance of vapo(u)r
building up over time in front of the sender.

There are two distinct differences between the 912S and 914 installations in
this respect, as far as I understand:
(1)912S does not have a pressure regulator just before the carbs as on 914
(it is probably incorporated in the 912S's mechanical pump?).
(2) As the airbox on the 912S has (close to) ambient air pressure, while the
914's airbox of course has the overpressure from the turbocharger, it is on
912S adequate to measure only the actual pressure in the fuel line and not
adjust this for the "counter-pressure" in the airbox, to arrive at what
pressure the carb needle actually "feels".

It is interesting to note that the Rotax installation manual does not
specify a fuel pressure reading for 912S, and as far as the 914 only
"recommends" it.  The Rotax dealer for Scandinavia does not even have
anything in particular to offer for 912S in this respect.  What does PFA
require in the UK for non-gravity fed fuel systems?  In Norway it is
actually required to have a fuel pressure gauge in such cases - apart from
being a good thing to have, too.

Regards,
Svein