Europa-List: E-glass vs. S-glass

Subject: Europa-List: E-glass vs. S-glass
From: TELEDYNMCS@aol.com
Date: Sat, 9 Oct 2004 11:38:13
   LINK_TO_NO_SCHEME@matronics.com, BODY:, Contains@matronics.com,
   link@matronics.com, without@matronics.com, http://@matronics.com,
   prefix@matronics.com

In a message dated 10/8/2004 2:59:26 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
europa-list-digest@matronics.com writes:

> Actually John, the difference between E glass and S glass has nothing to
> do with the weave style.
> E stands for "Electrical" grade and has a glass filament offering good
> tensile and compressive strength but relatively poor impact strength.
> This is the type most commonly used for homebuilds and marine
> applications - and is the glass supplied by Europa.
> "S" Glass was originally developed in the 1950s with a different
> chemical composition and a filament diameter about half that of "E"
> glass - giving a far greater wetted area.
> This results in improved interlaminar, compressive and tensile strength
> for a similar density. It is a much stronger reinforcement, approaching
> that of carbon fibre, but the down side is it costs more (over double).
> "In Europe, a third composition is available - "R" Glass. This is almost
> identical to the "S" glass available in the US.
> "E" glass is more vulnerable to attack by moisture than either "S" or
> "R" and for this reason the latter is usually specified for highly
> stressed and competition marine applications.
>
> All these materials can be woven into virtually any style and sized to
> suit the intended resin system, either polyester or epoxy. If ordering
> new glass cloth - check that it is sized for epoxy.
>
> Hope this helps
>
> Nigel

Hi Nigel,

Thanks for your input and obvious vast knowledge on the subject. Perhaps what
I should have said is the "E" glass I used is a standard weave, 8.7 oz. cloth
tape with woven edges and is as well suited to the Aeropoxy resin that I'm
using, as is the bid used. Rereading what I wrote does make it appear that I was

saying the the only difference between "E" glass and "S" glass was the weave
alone. Obviously, this isn't the case and I know better. I'll plead "BC" for
my mistake, that is before coffee.....

FWIW, I've found an excellent book called Composite Basics by Andrew C.
Marshal which goes into great detail about weaves, fibers, resins, core
materials,

molding techniques, tooling, post curing, vacuum bagging techniques, etc. It's

not exactly what I would call "light reading", but it does seem to have
everything you ever wanted to know about composites and then some. In it's fifth

printing, it's up to date and is an excellent reference for those who want to
know more than the "Europa College" teaches. It's available from the Composite

Store online at www.cstsales.com, item #L105 but might also be available
elsewhere. I believe it is well worth the $35 spent and I highly recommend it if
you
want to know more about composites.

Sorry for the double post. Again, I plead BC.....

Regards,

John Lawton
Dunlap, TN
A-245 (Back to the tailpost whilst I wait on the delivery of a 5/8" hole saw
for fitting my door latches)