Europa-List: 912S Starting

Subject: Europa-List: 912S Starting
From: Richard Holder <rholder@avnet.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2004 18:59:42

Team, anyone not using a 912S (or planning to use a 912S) can delete this
now.

I have just returned from trailering my Europa from near Stansted to Shobdon
(yesterday) and back (today).

I took it to Adrian Lloyd who changed my sprag clutch (in situ) and replaced
the starter motor with the Heavy Duty one. It was whole load of hassle and
it cost me muchos  but it had to be done. With the new starter it
whizzes round when I turn the key and starts straight away. It wasn't
starting at all before.

I think that most, if not ALL, 912Ss will need to have this done sooner or
later. Mine didn't start well all last winter and it reoccurred recently. My
engine has done just 100 hours !

I would say that it is essential for ANYONE ordering a 912S to insist on the
Heavy Duty starter. I believe it is only an extra 70 if bought with the
engine. Mine cost 300. (Anyone want a lightly used standard starter ???)

I also think that if you ever have the blade kick-back at start-up you will
sooner or later screw up your sprag clutch, so the onset of kick-back should
send you off to Rotax to buy the HD starter immediately.

I say this as a due warning - listen, discuss, but don't blame me if you
ignore me and need a sprag clutch replacement 2 years down the line.

In fact I really think that Rotax are at fault in the design of this engine
and that they should be liable for the replacement starters and the cost of
replacements and any damage caused by the weak starter. I rather think the
cost of such an admission by them will make the admission of liability
unlikely.

My aircraft is a classic but it has an XS firewall forward so that the sprag
clutch and the starter could be changed in situ. I understand that the
Classic firewall forward installation has less room and engine-out is
required for the replacement of the sprag clutch. The bad news for classic
FWF owners is that the HD starter will not fit as there is not enough room
for it (allegedly - I haven't looked at one).

I will report back after a few flights (or starts) to be sure that the
problem has gone away. I can thoroughly recommend Adrian Lloyd at MicroAir
at Shobdon who did a brilliant job.

Richard with a depleted wallet but (hopefully) a working aeroplane.
Richard F.W. Holder                      01279 842804 (POTS)
Bell House, Bell Lane,                   01279 842942 (fax)
Widford, Ware, Herts,                    07860 367423 (mobile)
SG12 8SH                                 email : rholder@avnet.co.uk
Europa Classic Tri-gear : G-OWWW, High Cross
PA-28-181 : Piper Archer : G-JANA, EGSG (Stapleford)