Europa-List: Insulating fuel and oil lines

Subject: Europa-List: Insulating fuel and oil lines
From: Johnsen Svein K. <Svein.Johnsen@mossww.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2004 13:49:07

All,

In March, 2002, there was a brief exchange on the Forum regarding the need for
insulating fuel lines in the engine compartment.

One message stated that FIRESLEEVE (in capitals, so I guess it refers to the
Aeroquip
Firesleeve) is part of a mandatory mod in the UK to reduce the possibility
of vapour locks.  I.e. a required protection against heat (in addition to
the fire protection offered by this sleeve).

A response to that message can be read to say that the fuel lines are required
only to have protection against fire, while insulation against heat as well as
fireproofing is only required on the oil return hose from the crankcase (which
would otherwise harden and crack).

I would appreciate a clarification as to what PFA's requirements are in this
respect
(both for fuel and oil lines), as well as any recommendation beyond PFA's
requirements that builders have incorporated with good results.

Thanks!

Regards,
Svein
A225 - now in Norway, where we get by with what the factory specifies, but maybe
live longer if we add a little extra here and there?