RE: Europa-List: RE: prop sizes for monowheels

Subject: RE: Europa-List: RE: prop sizes for monowheels
From: nigel charles <nigelcharles@tiscali.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2004 07:11:57

<<I use a 64inch prop with my Classic on the basis that if you get
within 1inch of prop strike it is very likely that the aircraft will
continue pitching until the prop touches the ground anyway.

>I'm sure there's some logic here, but I need it explained to me!<

The point is that if you pitch far enough over during a ground loop (the
most common reason for prop strike) once you have gone far enough to
strike a 64 inch prop on a Classic the pitch angle and inertia is such
that it would have almost certainly continued the extra inch required to
strike a 62 inch prop. The only time I see the smaller diameter saving
the day is a strike over rough ground where the strike is not due to
loss of control. However this is not a very likely scenario. I measured
the prop ground clearances (a/c empty) to be 11 inches and 12 inches
respectively.

Although the above is just a theory and I have been lucky enough not to
have a prop strike so far, talking to those that have the impression is
that once the groundloop has started the pitch/roll manoeuvre continues
until the prop strikes.

Nigel Charles