Europa-List: Airmaster AP308 Prop

Subject: Europa-List: Airmaster AP308 Prop
From: Paddy Clarke <paddyclarke@lineone.net>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 12:03:43

Hi All,
                        I have a problem with an Airmaster AP 308 prop. I'm
getting
a very
fine spray of grease around the cowling and back onto the windscreen.
It appears to be coming from the joint between the blade retention nut
and the hub on 2 of the blades.
                        I've been in touch with Airmaster and they say the
grease
is most
likely to be coming down the blade retention nut thread - a problem
that will be solved by having their SB-13 done. This instals an O-ring
around the nut and was designed to stop water working its way in the
other direction, into the hub. They will do this SB for free, the only
snag is that the prop has to be taken off and returned to NZ.
                        Has anyone else had this problem?
                        If so, has anyone tried to seal the join with silicone?
- again, if
so, does this cause much difficulty when it comes to unscrewing the
blade retention nut?
                        The grease comes out a just one point in the joints
circumference
-
presumably where the thread ends. Has anyone tried putting silicone
just at that point?
                        Many thanks
Paddy Clarke

Europa XS - 404 G-KIMM