Europa-List: Landing Gear Frame to Fuse

Subject: Europa-List: Landing Gear Frame to Fuse
From: Tony Renshaw <tonyrenshaw@optusnet.com.au>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 14:37:05

Gidday,
I am about to mount the landing gear frame to the front of the fuse, to
bolt it up to the sides of the tunnel. So, I note on page 22-2 of my Issue
4 manual it states:
"The correct location for the trame is when the top and side tubes which
are in the vertical plane are within 1.5 to 3 mm (1/16"-1/8") of the
firewall vertical plane."

OK, I can do that but then it states:
"Ensure that there is a gap between the top tube and the fuselage structure
of at least 5mm (3/16") for the rubber bungee, which assists landing gear
retraction, to squeeze through"

There is a problem in that both tubes are in the same alignment. When you
get the vertical one at 5 mm and the base of the frame at 1.5-3 mm you
create a wedge shaped, non consistent gap. If the top tube was set back
---From the vertical face when in position, all would be well, and this is
what I expected after glancing at the frame and reading the manual. I am
building a taildragger so it doesn't matter as much that I don't get the
top 5 mm gap perfectly, but I am anxious that the cowls for example are set
up on this dimension, so I should maintain it irrespective of my
undercarriage setup. Oh, whilst I think of it, I am wondering if the frame
I should fill with redux where I bolt it up to the fuse? My mate downunder
reckons it is just extra weight, and not in the manual. I have a long and
chequered history of tightening things too much, and fear the same with the
landing gear frame mounting bolts. So, anyone else filled the area for
bolting with flox and redux??? (I have plenty of out of date redux so using
it is not an issue for me)

Reg
Tony Renshaw
Sydney Australia

Classic 236  B.B. Taildragger
Tail, Wings, Ailerons, Flaps Complete and Connected
Lower Fuse in Jig, and module most recently installed.
Tail Torque Tube installed.
Mass Balance assembly installed and deflections sorted
Roof Panel between doors completed.
Photos at:
http://forum.okhuijsen.org/TonyR
Intended Engine: 912S CS prop (model undecided)
Instrumentation: Garmin 296 Colour GPS beneath an electronic Artificial
Horizon, one that I can trust for short periods IMC, to get out of a sticky
situation