Re: Europa-List: Exhaust system

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Exhaust system
From: John Cliff <mx@crixbinfield.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 11:05:54

> On unwrapping the exhaust package there were two 50mm dia aluminium
> tubes 50mm long with curved flanges on the end=85=85..does anyone know what
> they are for?

I raised this a week or two ago for an early XS exhaust (a Heggemann).  The
saddle flanges were provided to fabricate a cabin heat source by attaching
around holes made in the shroud surronding the silencer (which is attached by
two large worm drive clips).

Neville recommended throwing the flanges away (lack of heat will not be a
problem !)  [Not sure about that, but I'd like a heat source separated from the
exhaust system].  The shroud should be left on (reduces heat transfer to things
above it).

He also said that the down pipe which is in two parts, with a spilt sleeve
joint, was designed to be used with no clamping around it, but that he always
added an exhaust clamp at this point.

John Cliff