RE: Europa-List: Propellers NSI CAP 140

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Propellers NSI CAP 140
From: nigelcharles@tiscali.co.uk
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 11:04:02

I used one for 25 hrs when it was grounded due to the 912S/NSI combination
proving unsuitable without modification. One of our UK owners had a crack
at a blade root after 250hrs and the extra torsional load of the higher
compression 912S found a weakness in a sharp corner in the blade root (not
ideal design). Since then there has been another failure (on a different
a/c type). Whether this was a modified prop or not is not certain. If it
wasn't modified then why hasn't the owner been notified by NSI to get it
modified? If it was modified then it begs the question whether the NSI is
suitable for the 912S at all.

The prop comes without low pitch stop adjustment. This is achieved by placing
a spacer in the rear of the hub. I had several spacers made up of different
thicknesses so that the correct size could be determined. The only problem
was that the prop had to be taken apart for each spacer to be inserted.
This cannot be done on the a/c. As you can imagine I got quite good at this
but it still took at least 2 hours each time. All this just to change the
stop setting. It is extremely easy to damage parts when re-assembling the
prop hub. However once set you should not have to do it again.

As far as I know, unlike the other manufacturers, NSI have yet to develop
a constant speed controller which eases pilot workload and improves performance.

I have first hand knowledge of their poor customer relations and the UK
representative (who happens to be my inspector) has given up with them due
to their poor communications and slow deliveries.

Nigel Charles

Get Tiscali Broadband From 15:99
http://www.tiscali.co.uk/products/broadbandhome/