Re: Europa-List: gascolators

Subject: Re: Europa-List: gascolators
From: Fergus Kyle <VE3LVO@rac.ca>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 22:32:36

----- Original Message -----
From: "Graham Singleton" <graham@gflight.f9.co.uk>
| >Bowl removal
| >| cleaning and refitting takes no more than 3 minutes (not that I have
| >| found anything in the bowl so far).
| >| Nigel Charles
| >
| >I was wondering what then filters out the tank water before one starts an
| >engine? The water drains take a sample from the bottom of the tank
| >(hopefully) in an admitted large sample - at any time. The gascolator
drains
| >off water as it approaches the engine.|
| Ferg
| the Andair takes out the water. I agree checking the tank first, might
give
| a couple of day's warning of impending embarrassment. I still recomend
| both, an Andair and the tank drains, easy with my tank fittings.
| I understand but haven't seen them yet, that the Europa NG kits will have
| metal lines and obviously an equivalent tank fitting to mine. Might even
be
| cheaper ?:-)
| Graham

Graham et al,
            Actually I wrote the above in the 'casual' mode - only not to
appear to be in contest with Nigel's remarks.
            I humbly note that not finding water is no discovery just as no
victim's complaint is proof of a murder-free society. Lack of water means a
dry climate, no great change in temperature, excellent delivery quality and
perhaps a composite tank.
            Finding water is an entirely different event. This is possible
if the climate is richly variable in temp and humidity, the fuel is cached
or relatively lightly delivered, the aircraft has been sitting outside on a
visit or the source is not dedicated to quality. I have found this in every
mode above. The Stearman has drip drains on the tanks (upper wing) and a
gascolator in the lower engine bay. I have found water, paint flecks and
pigeon poo in both. When you find it in the drains, sometimes the engine
run-up is longer (?)
            I intend to find water in the drained Europa tanks and
occasionally in the gascolator - every trip. I know the gascolator takes out
the water. I also know the water drains do too - but they do it earlier if
it's been sitting in the tank(s). Another aspect for me is the drains are
easy to get at because they are behind the wing and near the side. If it's
been raining overnight and the grass is now mud, I will still happily squat
and check the drains. I might not be so keen to lie in the muck, but the
gascolator should still intercept the bit I missed, - and I'll find out at
the next stop - if I can. [I've seen this lassitude in the Forces - see
where the tank drains are in the Harvard/T6].
            This doesn't mean sidearms at dawn - I merely note that if you
don't need the extra protection, then don't install both - and more power to
you, you lucky stiffs.
Cheers, Ferg