Re: Europa-List: Faulty Engine Gague

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Faulty Engine Gague
From: Fred Fillinger <n3eu@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2004 10:52:31

> Incidentally, I have the Rotax graph showing resistance vs pressure
so
> I could isolate the pressure sensor and connect it to a resistance/
multimeter
> and see whether we get the same fluctuations, unless someone can
lend
> me a spare sender for a week or so. I dont want to spend 140 on a
> replacement sender if it isn't necessary.
>
> Carl Pattinson
> G-LABS

Carl, I would just ground-test the systems by substituting a
potentiometer for the Rotax senders, preferably a 500-ohm, "15-turn
trimpot."  See what happens over time (internal temp of the EIS box)
at various measured R's vs. temp or pressure off the Rotax charts.
Rap the EIS box with fingertips.  Put a battery charger on the batt
and see if noisy 14V vs. clean 12V makes a difference.

It's possible even the Rotax thermistors are defectively sensitive to
engine vibration in flight (ignoring security of the connector).
There's 2 identical temp senders to swap and go fly.  Good luck!

Reg,
Fred F.