Re: Europa-List: Woodcomp/Kremen propellers

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Woodcomp/Kremen propellers
From: Duncan McFadyean <ami@mcfadyean.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2004 12:00:57

Thanks for asking the question and posting the response David.

I understand where Jiri was coming from on this, although the usual
recommendation is to optimise prop blade twist for the "service" condition,
which means 'cruise', where it spends most of its working life.

With a VP prop and with the inverse-cube relationship between power and
performance, there would be little detectable difference in climb or top
speed with different blade twist optimisations, as Jiri points out.

However, if in the cruise the prop is running at 83% efficiency rather than
an off-optimum 75%, then fuel economy would be improved by 10%. That's 450
gallons of fuel over the life of the engine!

Regards,
Duncan.