Re: Europa-List: How Much Paint?

Subject: Re: Europa-List: How Much Paint?
From: Fred Fillinger <n3eu@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 19:34:20

Jeff Roberts wrote:

> To all that have painted,
> It's time to consider ordering paint. I have a friend that works for
Sherwin
> Williams's marketing department. He is recommending there premium
automotive
> product called Genesis. He said it's being used on the sub frames
and lower
> body panels of racecars because how it holds up from chipping and
that it
> has better flexibility.

Well, I know a manager at Glidden who says their auto finishes vs. SW
or DuPont.... :-)  Anyway, planes usually aren't subject to chipping
debris like cars, so I'm going to try stuff from paintforcars.com.
It's so cheap ($35 for acrylic enamel) that gallons don't really
matter, and auto coating prices have gotten out of sight.  Google
search for internet comments seems to conclude that many buyers tried
it on a lark, and hey it's pretty good.  I bought a gallon each of
white, metallic, clear, and a can of the urethane additive which
hardens and enhances gloss and makes more solvent resistant (will use
in clear only).  The metallic looks like it holds the reflective stuff
in suspension nice, a potential problem for amateur shooters.  I won't
clear the underside of wings in preference to trying to shoot the
white real good.

If it don't last real long, or gets too chipped or assaulted by
insidious liquids, I figure order more off eBay, wet-sand to primer
and reshoot.  Not that big a plane and the wings come off, should
anyone have ever shot a bigger plane whose wings don't.  Just input so
far, not recommendation.

Reg,
Fred F.