Europa-List: RE: Europa-List Digest: 10 Msgs - 08/14/04

Subject: Europa-List: RE: Europa-List Digest: 10 Msgs - 08/14/04
From: Lawrence Ross <LROSS5@kc.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 02:34:10

Hi Ron,
        Many years ago when I was turning wrenches on a ProRally car, we
used an oil thermostat and as I understand the system, it's main purpose
is to restrict the flow to the cooler so the oil warms up faster.
Typically they run about 10% through the cooler when "closed" (to
prevent sludging and and a cold slug of oil when they do open) and 90%
when open. Generally once they are open the engine is making enough heat
they stay that way. I don't recall the catalogue right off, but recently
I was helping a friend research t-stats for a Jabiru installation and
the t-stat simply replaced the "biscuit" style oil cooler adapter, so
there was no extra plumbing.
        Getting the oil up to temp quickly sound like a great idea on an
engine that doesn't usually ground run too long before the takeoff load
is applied. (like most small planes).
        BTW, did you and your partner ever get that X-Plane Europa
worked out?

Just my two cents,
Larry Ross
Wannabee builder