Europa-List: Tri gear bungee tensioning

Subject: Europa-List: Tri gear bungee tensioning
From: Richard Iddon <riddon@sent.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 08:25:43

How to re-tension tri gear bungees =91in the field=92

I converted my tri gear bungee to the =91Kevin Pilcher=92 system of separate
bands a while ago and installed them by winching them down with ratchet
tie down straps fixed to a hard point on the floor of my workshop.  This
worked well but the nose had gone a little soft again recently and the
bungees needed re-tensioning. Reluctant to strip the aircraft down and
transport in back home just for this job, I made a very low tech tripod
=91axle stand=92 out of 2 x 2 timber with a =BE inch ply base, about 24inches
high.  I fitted an eye bolt through the aft end of the base and simply
sat the nose gear pivot point on the stand, tied it in place and then
removed the bands, shortened them up a little and re-installed them with
the ratchet straps using the eye bolt to secure them to.

This simple stand gives you more space to work under the nose, provides
a point to winch from and can be used wherever the plane happens to be.

Richard Iddon G-RIXS