Europa-List: FW: New 914 Exhuast muffler and tailpipe

Subject: Europa-List: FW: New 914 Exhuast muffler and tailpipe
From: Kevin Klinefelter <kevann@gte.net>
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2004 10:23:51

-----Original Message-----
From: Kevin Klinefelter [mailto:kevann@gte.net]
Subject: New 914 Exhuast muffler and tailpipe

Hi All,  I am cutting the hole for the exhaust  tailpipe in the lower cowl
of the 914 powered XS. It looks like the new muffler (silencer) makes the
bulge in the cowling no longer necessary?  I was thinking cutting it off and
re-glassing the area smooth and symmetrical with the other side. Has anyone
else done this yet? Probably a lot work for a tiny reduction in drag?

Also the new tailpipe is longer. I have noticed on the XS (pictures) that
the pipe is pointing pretty much down instead of back. A less draggy look
would be aimed back with the flow more. Is there any reason for not aiming
the pipe a lot more aft?

Kevin, A211, N211KA
Working on paint and electrical system