Europa-List: re: Engine Failure Test and Rotax Specials

Subject: Europa-List: re: Engine Failure Test and Rotax Specials
From: irampil@notes.cc.sunysb.edu
Date: Sat, 7 Aug 2004 09:44:02
 08/07/2004 09:44:05 AM,
        Serialize complete at 08/07/2004 09:44:05 AM

 Hi Dave and All,

Sorry to hear about your flange!
Oddly enough the carb flanges were also mentioned at Oshkosh
in the Rotax 9 series Workshop.
.
It seems the early production of the 9 series had an inflexible
attachment which worked just fine in Austrian test cells.
Out in the field (or in the air) these had an unfortunate habit of
coming undone due to various and sundry resonance vibrations
of what ever was hung for airboxes. Bottom line: be careful
about changing the flange from a soft connection!

My first three test flights were EFATO and also non-events even with
the short wings. It seems that my series combination of the Europa
cartridge fuel filters with an Andair mini-gascolator proved too much
resistance when nose up and would entrain air upstream of the fuel
pump. I took out the gascolator until I am sure the fiberglass crud
is out of the tank, then I will bypass the cartridges for the gascolator
filter/water trap.  Also of note, premium mogas purchased in
small towns like Zephyrhills, Fl is highly likely to be stale!

While I am typing, I thought I would just mention the result of a
private question I had for Eric Tucker.  I told him I had heard that
the special souped up 914s used in the Predator were removed from
service after 100 hrs and could they find their way onto the surplus
market.  He laughed and said they get inspected every 100 hr but not
pulled from service until 1500 hours.  Keep in mind that these engine
have a 3 stage turbo and fuel injection among other goodies.  The fuel
injection is not done by Rotax but by a private company under exclusive
contract to USAF.  Then, tantalizingly, Eric said some of these engines
have in fact been released to surplus.  Good Hunting!!

BTW Dave sorry to have missed you at the show. I did see your
beautiful bird there.

Ira N224XS