Re: Europa-List: Rotax 912 S E.G.T's

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Rotax 912 S E.G.T's
From: Duncan McFadyean <ami@mcfadyean.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2004 00:04:45

At 4930rpm, 912S, wide chord Warp Drive set at 19 degrees I have recorded
EGTs of 1300 and 1275 degF on the front cylinders and 1190 and 1250 on the
rear.

At other power settings the rear cylinders run a lot cooler than the front
and there is often an imbalance left to right on the rear. The front
cylinders are far better behaved.

I haven't tried swapping probes around to see if the imbalance is down to
instrument error, but doubt that it is. Rather, appalling inlet manifold
design allied to the shared cylinders not operating 360 degrees apart is
likely to blame.

The old 1200 Honda Goldwing (which is probably where many of the parameters
on  the Rotax were copied from) has one carb. per cylinder; one way of
avoiding the problem.

Duncan McF.