Re: Europa-List: Putting on the top

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Putting on the top
From: Rocketman <topglock@cox.net>
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2004 15:30:31

Ferg,

That made me tired just reading it.  Whew!  But, congratulations on the
milestone.  Now your canoe has become a submarine... :)

When we bonded the top on A055, last week, we used 6 people.  But before
doing the deed, we made a dry run, placing unpulled rivets at strategic
points to make sure the top was aligned properly.  The starboard side of
the fin had to be a bit higher, on the flange, than the port, to align
the fin.  Once that was done, one person mixed the 420 and flox and
divided the mix into two cups.  Two people, starting at the rear of the
fuselage, spread the mix along the flange until they met at the front.
When ready to set the top on, four people, two on each side, lifted the
top on and pulled out on the sides, to avoid letting it touch the
lower.  I set three rivets on the firewall flange, then started down one
side for a few feet, then switched to the other side, until I reached
the rear, using only the predrilled holes.  Once that was done, I
started setting drill point screws about every 8".  Once the screws were
in, we started scraping off the excess, which I applied to the fuel
filler molding, to attach it to the cap.  What little was left over was
used to make sure all the seams were filled level.  The whole process
took about two hours, including the dry run. I did not use the "splash"
technique on the rear bulkhead or mass balance bulkhead, but laying them
up, the next day, was no problem.  Since then, the fin ribs and
sternpost are in, and the rudder and sternpost flanges are trimmed and
ready to attach, permantly.  That will have to wait until the fin tip is
bonded.  Waiting on the tail strobe to arrive, to insure the wiring is
correct, before doing that.

Again, congratulations on this milestone.  It feels good, doesn't it?