Europa-List: PTFE fuel lines

Subject: Europa-List: PTFE fuel lines
From: Graham Singleton <graham@gflight.f9.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2004 21:23:25

>McMaster-Carr (http://www.mcmaster.com/) carries several products that you
>may find suitable.  Of particular interest might be "U-Build PTFE Hose
>Assemblies with Stainless Steel Braided Covers" shown on page 204 of the
>on-line catalog.  PTFE, if you are not familiar, is polytetrafluoroethylene,
>otherwise known as Teflon.  Pre-made assemblies are also listed on the same
>page.

The best flexible hose I know about is the teflon lined S Steel braided
stuff. Aeroquip, Earle's Goodrich all do it. It is necessary to use AN
fittings on the ends, I think worm drive clips would tend to loosen with
age and be unreliable. Best termination (IMHO) is crimped AN with aluminium
end fittings. Steel fittings are readily available but heavy and clumsy.

Wilksch Airmotive are starting to stock this stuff for their diesel
installations and I would think could be persuaded to make up hoses for us,
probably at a reasonable price. I will give Mark a nudge next time we speak
so it might be worth asking next week after Kemble. I know he is highly
occupied right now. (Hoping to fly the Wilksch Europa in against a gale of
resistance from a certain PFA person. (Not FD)

Graham