RE: Europa-List: Brake Lines

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Brake Lines
From: Rob Housman <RobH@hyperionef.com>
Date: Sat, 3 Jul 2004 17:48:25

Here's the list of items I bought from McMaster-Carr (www.mcmaster.com) to
replace the factory supplied plastic tubing with brass (inside the fuselage)
and stainless steel (down the gear legs), and to add brakes to the starboard
side footwell.  All but the last two items are brass fittings and check
valves (req'd only to add the second set of pedals); the last two are the
tubing in 6 foot lengths - best to allow extra for "experimentation" with
tube bending unless you are experienced.  I used a second pair of Europa
supplied master cylinders (which are actually go-kart brake master
cylinders) for the starboard side.

P/N                        price ea        qty req'd
4860K141                $3.60                 4
9171K16                $6.83                 4
46105K31                $7.00                 4
5220K31                $1.13                 4
52185K657                $9.50                 6
5220K135                $3.47                 2
5220K91                $1.34                 2
8950K51                $7.37                 5
89785K812                $44.24        2
The only special tool needed (all fittings are compression type, not flared)
is the tubing bender (McMaster p/n 2492A12 at $28.81).

It's no fun bending and installing the rigid tubing but I've had a bad
experience with a plastic hydraulic clutch line in an (English made)
automobile so I think it is worth the effort.

Best regards,

Rob Housman
Europa XS Tri-Gear A070
Airframe complete