Europa-List: Radio interference

Subject: Europa-List: Radio interference
From: geoffrey LEEDHAM <geoff@gleedham.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 20:35:40

A friend of mine with a Kitfox fitted with the Rotec 7 cyl. radial engine has a
problem with radio interference when receiving and I would like to know if
anyone
has a solution.
The noise is a ticking sound (which I  guess is ignition) which increases with
revs, making radio reception very difficult.
The engine is fitted with 1 magneto type ignition and 1 Hall effect ignition
which
depends on battery power.(similar to a car type)
Switching off either ignition does not remove the fault, and neither does wiring
the radio (Icom IC-A200) to an independent power source.
He has resistor plugs, has tried fitting resistor caps, and has fitted a
suppressor
to the positive side of the Hall system coil.  Also have tried swapping the
radio with the King KY97A.
The external antenna is mounted on the rear top fuselage about 6 Ft behind the
panel.
Any ideas would be helpful.

Geoff Leedham
G-EOFS trigear